Taking a road trip during the winter months can yield some beautiful views. Seeing snowy mountain peaks and making snow angels is definitely worth the fun. Plus, it’s always nice to get some fresh air and spend time with the people that you love.
Planning a road trip in the winter, however, can definitely be a lot different than your typical year-round road trip. There are many things you have to consider and prepare for, especially if you are not confident or experienced driving in snowy or winter weather conditions.
Here are some things you’ll want to keep in mind when it comes to planning a winter road trip:
- Check the weather along your route ahead of time, at least a few days before. That way, you’ll be able to understand the road conditions. If you’ll be driving in snow, you’ll need to be prepared. An all-wheel-drive or a 4 wheel drive vehicle is highly recommended. You also may need to carry tire chains with you, just in case.
- Have your vehicle inspected here at Pickering's Auto Service in Lakewood, CO - Arvada, CO - Westminster, CO before you hit the road. Our technicians can ensure that your vehicle is ready to handle the road, especially in winter weather. This includes checking your vehicle’s vital fluids, brakes, tires, and more.
- Pack a winter emergency kit. You should have a spare tire, jack, wrench, and other items such as a first aid kit, phone charger, emergency numbers, blankets, flashlight, water, and non-perishable food. This can come in handy in any situation away from home.
- During this time of the year in 2020, you’ll want to make sure that you check any travel regulations for your county and where you are headed. There may be some travel restrictions in place to be aware of. Also, make sure that your vehicle tires meet the local traction laws. For more information about tires check out our blog "Too Tired to Learn about Tires?"
- Pack accordingly! Make sure you have plenty of warm clothing for you and your family, especially if you’re traveling to a cold area.
- Make sure to stay safe during this time by bringing face masks and hand sanitizer.
These are just some things to remember before embarking on your winter road trip to make sure your vacation is as successful as possible.
We definitely recommend bringing your vehicle into Pickering's Auto Service for an inspection before you leave to make sure that your car is ready to go, so don’t hesitate to give us a call to schedule an appointment online or stop by our shop today!